April 4, 2013

UPDATE (4/4/13)

Soooo, after a long day of classes, I finally made my way back “home” to Indy. Unfortunately, as soon as I got here Leah was leaving for Upland to head back to work tomorrow morning for another 12 hour shift (last one for the week). I literally saw her in passing on Monday night for less than an hour before I had to head back to Upland, and tonight was unfortunately eerily similar. We are truly doing ok though (for anyone who’s been wondering), but it has been an additional challenge.

Leah was texting me updates throughout the day (sorry to all my professors who could tell), as today was yet another “big day”. By “big”, I mean successful. Beckett has been successfully extubated once again. He truly looks great. Leah said that it went smooth and he seemed relieved to have that tube out of his throat once again.

Our surgeon stopped in the room earlier today inquiring about Beckett’s status (he has been out of the country on vacation for the past few weeks). He was discussing with the neonatologist as to why Beckett has had to go on and come off the ventilator so many times. They explained to him that it is a number of things, but Beckett’s reoccurring plural effusion (the fluid around his lungs) is a large contributor to his struggle(s). One odd thing he mentioned to Leah (and supposedly didn’t really explain much) was that if Beckett is still here in 3 weeks, he said that we are going to need to start talking about possibly doing his second surgery “early”. Now, before we freak out, we don’t really know what “early” means, and he really didn’t take the time to clarify, but it evoked some “brow-raising” at the very least. We were told last week by one of Beckett’s cardiologist that we will definitely be waiting on Beckett’s second surgery until late May at the EARLIEST, but most likely June or July. Well, 3 weeks is still April….sooo, I guess we will wait and see what the near future holds. I was also informed today that our “care-conference” (where all the docs, surgeons, cardiologists, nurses, and us all come together) will be happening sometime next Wednesday. That should be an opportune time to get a lot of questions answered and hopefully solidify a collaboratively derived strategic game-plan (how’s that for a mouthful). I am in great anticipation for that opportunity and will most likely feel much better after that finally happens.

That’s about it. Beckett really is doing “well”, just please pray for no more set-backs. I truly can’t imagine him (nor us) “handling” much more. It’s time for consistent “wins” and a regular flow of “good news”.

“But when the darkness of dismay comes, endure until it is over, because out of it will come the ability to follow Jesus truly, which brings inexpressibly wonderful joy.”

#ODAAT
#GoBeckett!

— with Leah ‘Whiteley’ Rupp at St. Vincent’s Women’s Hospital.

2 thoughts on “April 4, 2013

  1. Glad that you are able to be back with Beckett, but sorry that Leah had to leave you both and go back to work. Rejoicing with you that Beckett did well with the removal of his tube and had a ‘good’ day with no set backs. continuing to pray for you and Beckett and for Leah as she puts in her 12 hour shift while her heart is there with the two of you. Be assured of continued prayers for your precious son as well as you and Leah. Go Beckett!

  2. Child of God says:

    Praying for no more set backs and for health, endurance, peace and rest.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: