Beckett is doing okay…that’s the perspective we are trying to hold onto. At least things aren’t “life-threatening” right now. As many of you know, Beckett is a sweetheart…but today he was extra ornery (and not in the endearing kind of way). Perhaps it’s our lack of patience with this process…but today just seemed extra long and extra tiring. However, I will say the evening ended very cute. I drug Leah out of the room after we put Beckett down (she doesn’t leave often) and we shared some ice cream together. She said, “I should get back to him…he’s probably waiting for me.” Admittedly, she was kind of being facetious…however, she later texted me this:
Beckett’s awake. He said “mommy you’re back. I stayed up all night waiting in case you needed me”
…and in one swoop he nearly redeems the entire day.
From a clinical standpoint, Beckett is doing okay (as mentioned). The test they did last night (and then later I learned they had to redo it again around 3:00am) showed that his liver, gall bladder and pancreas look fine. This is good to hear, but still discouraging because we still don’t have any answers. We actually tried proving that Beckett didn’t need the oxygen support this morning, but unfortunately he failed that test. Within a few minutes his oxygen saturation levels dropped 10 points and his heart rate began to rise. So, they had to put it back on. That’s disappointing. Everyone wants to go home. We’re over this. But Beckett still has a cough and still needs oxygen. He hasn’t had another “gut-wrenching episode” for over 48 hours (which is why we admitted him in the first place), but now we have this oxygen dependency out of nowhere. So we wait, and wait, and wait. I’d like to say we might go home tomorrow, but honestly it doesn’t really even look like that may happen.
We appreciate the prayers, support, visits, food…you all have been great. Thank you so much. We’ll make it through…one-day-at-a-time.